Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Welcome to the House

Before I get started, let me say this. If you don't like dreadlocks, there's no need to read any further. This ain't for you. Whatever it was that brought you to this page made a mistake. You'd be better off spending your time somewhere else.
Now, for those of you who are not haters .....

A little more than four years ago, while doing a Google search for Rashean Mathis, I stumbled upon a blog titled "Shake Dem Dreads." That quickly led me to "Shakedemdreads" corresponding page on the website known as Yardbarker. Through Yardbarker's "bark it up" system in effect at the time, you could tell there was a fair amount of interest in the items posted by Shakedemdreads. And so, being a lifelong huge sports fan as well as a big fan of many athletes who have dreads, I decided to start my own dreadlock-themed sports blog. Although I've never done it professionally, I've always enjoyed writing stuff about sports. So, just for fun, I opened an account on Yardbarker and called it "HouseofDread."


Well, it certainly wasn't a smashing success (I didn't expect it to be), but I was more than satisfied with the amount of interest in what I was writing. As time passed, however, Yardbarker underwent several significant changes. And with every each change they pushed me closer and closer to the door. Their latest change - deleting all the photos from everything that everybody had posted - was the last straw. It was time for the House of Dread to find a new home. So here we are now right here - and hopefully no longer subject to so many unexpected changes.
For those of you (if there is anybody) who regularly viewed my stuff on Yardbarker, this is a continuation of that blog. I'll be picking up right where I left off. To those of you who are new and/or have stumbled upon this blog, and if you like sports and dreads, you can check out my stuff from Yardbarker (what's left of it, that is) by clicking on the link below, and then clicking on "Forum Posts."
http://www.yardbarker.com/users/houseofdread

For now at least, I'm going to allow comments. But be warned: I don't like negative comments. Listen. I get it - there's many more people out there that don't like dreadlocks than do. I'm fine with that. But I don't need you to tell me that you don't like dreadlocks or tell me that you don't care. Certainly I welcome constructive criticism or any agreement or disagreement with something I've written. But if all you're going to write is "Who cares" or something like that, please don't waste your time. Please.
For those who are fans of dreadlocks in sports, welcome to my house. Hopefully you'll find some of my stuff interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment