I just have a quickie post today - and one that I'd rather not have to do. The house of dread was staggered (but still standing) by a one-two combination of bad news recently, and I thought it would be important to let you know about in case you hadn't already heard. Only in special cases over the years have I done posts specifically to report (and mourn) that someone is leaving the house. But unfortunately we have one of those special cases now. It always hurts to have to add names to the ex-dread list; but for real, the latest two additions hurt a lot more than usual.
Sunday, March 3, 2013
Unless you did a Rip Van Winkle last fall, you probably noticed that there were a lot of players with sick dreads in uniform on Saturdays in 2012 - way too many to mention them all here. Of those players some have dreads with a greater "wow" factor than others; you know, the kind of dreads that make you say, "Wow! Who is that?" the first time you see them. My 5th annual dread all-America team features 96 Division 1 players whose dreads most definitely rank high when it comes to the "wow" factor.
To even be considered for this team you must have dreads long enough to be seen while you're wearing your helmet. And I don't mean barely seen. I'm talking about long enough that the person sitting in row ZZ at the top of the stadium doesn't need binoculars to know that you have dreads.
Let's continue now with more of the best dreads on Saturdays in 2012 .....
- OL Jonathan Cooper - North Carolina . SR
- OL Seantrel Henderson - Miami (F) . JR
- OL Patrick Lewis - Texas A&M . SR
- OL Tyrus Thompson - Oklahoma . SOPH
- OL Brennan Williams - North Carolina . SR
- WR Javon Bell - Texas Tech . JR
- WR Kitaro Lewis - Morehead State . SOPH
- WR J.D. McKissic - Arkanas State . FR
- RB Cassius McDowell (HM) - Toledo . SOPH
- RB Kenny Miles (HM) - South Carolina . SR
- QB Devin Powell - Tulane . FR
- KR Tavares Crawford (2) - Eastern Illinois . JR